I woke up this morning craving some scrambled eggs. Obviously I’m not going to eat actual eggs, but I looked through my kitchen for a good alternative. I had plenty of tofu in my fridge and decided to just throw some ingredients together and give it a try. Typically when I do this, the mean either comes out pretty delicious…. or pretty gross.
I was pleasantly surprised that these not only came out really good, but my tofu-hating fiance smelled my cooking and said “what smells so delicious?” These came out really good, and they were quick and easy to make. Immediately after cooking, I wrote down what I did so as not to forget! Have you ever experimented and loved the meal, and go to make it a second time and it doesn’t taste as good? I hate when that happens! I’m determined not to let it happen with these, since they are so good!
I did make these for 1 person, but they can easily be adjusted to make for more. If you try them, leave a comment below! I’d love to hear your thoughts.
This is for 1 serving. If making more, just adjust accordingly. I honestly didn’t really measure the seasonings, but am estimating how much I used. A taste test along the way doesn’t hurt.
The best vegan substitute for scrambled eggs!
- Extra firm tofu (I used ¼ of a cube for 1 person. Use more for more servings)
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon Vegan Butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 3-4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain and press tofu. You don’t need to press it for very long. I honestly pressed the tofu while I gathered the ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, crumble the tofu into the pan. Season with the turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cook the tofu for a 1 minute. Add the nutritional yeast and milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until the tofu has absorbed the liquid. If you desire a creamy texture, like me, add another teaspoon of butter on top of the tofu and melt into it.
- Enjoy and serve with your favorite breakfast side dish!