Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!!! My favorite holiday of the year! I love to cook, and tomorrow I’m hosting my very first vegan Thanksgiving. I’m so excited to cook and eat some delicious foods!
Today, I made my desserts, and I had a HUGE response to my Apple Pie, so I figured I’d whip up a quick blog post in case anyone wanted to view the recipe. This is a short, but sweet post, but here is my famous apple pie recipe, crust and all!
Homemade Vegan + Gluten Free Apple Pie
Traditional Apple Pie that's both Vegan and Gluten Free!
(This will make ONE crust. Double the recipe if making a bottom and top crust).
For the crust:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mills 1-1 flour is best!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening*
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter* (Earth Balance!)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
*The trick to making the perfect crust, is cold butter and shortening. Before I start baking, I cut the shortening and butter into cubes, place them on a plate and stick it in the freezer. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, and take them out at the last minute!
For the filling:
- 8 medium size apples, peeled and diced (I use a mix of both granny smith and honeycrisp)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup maple or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon*
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
*I always add a bit extra cinnamon! It’s my secret to a good apple pie!
- Place your flour, cinnamon, and salt in a mixer bowl. Attach bowl with flat beater to mixer. Turn to stir speed and mix for about 15 seconds. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, mix gently with spoon). Add the chilled shortening and butter to flour mixture. Stir and mix until butter and shortening are the size of small peas, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Continuing on stir speed, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all ingredients are moistening and dough begins to hold together. Pat the dough into a smooth ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pot on medium heat. Add the syrup, apples and spices. Stir the mixture until the apples are well coated. Add in the flour to the apple mix, and mix well. Add in the vanilla extract and turn off the heat. Leave on stove to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness between sheets of wax or plastic wrap. This is especially certain for gluten-free flour! Ease into pie plate, and then press firmly into bottom and sides. If making a top crust, have some fun with cookie cutters to make a pretty design!