So, I’m a huge Harry Potter fan. I read the first book when I was 14 years old, and went to midnight releases of both the books and the movies. For almost 18 years of my life, Harry Potter was a big part of it. I went through some tough times, and the magical world was always such a wonderful escape to me.
Last week, I finally got to travel down to Universal in Florida and see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was AMAZING! If you’re a fan, definitely find a way to get there someday. It was like the books I read had come to life, or that I stepped into the movies. I had such a fun time, and felt like a little kid the entire time I was there. And, I didn’t feel foolish for being 31 years old and enjoying this, because there were plenty of other people there my age, and the workers are amazingly nice! It made the experience that much better.
Now, I’ve been a strict vegan for almost a year. When going to Orlando, I wondered how it would affect my diet. Luckily, everywhere we went they had vegan options and many of the workers knew what vegan was and helped me order food I could eat, yay! That was a huge plus to me.
However, I’ve always wanted to try a Butterbeer, and I knew that they had milk in them. I debated whether or not to do it, but I did end up having a couple of them when I was down there, because dang-it, they are delicious!
When I came home, I knew I had to try and make my own version of it that was indeed vegan. I researched online and found one that sounded like the winner. So, without further ado, here is the recipe!
(I bought these Butterbeer mugs in Universal, for those who were wondering.)
Vegan Buttbeer for Harry Potter fans or anyone who loves sweet treats
- 1 cup vegan brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, cubed
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk (you want it thick!)
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- vanilla cream soda
1. Place brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture reads 240F on candy thermometer.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and ¼ cup of coconut milk. Set aside to cool to room temperature. When cool, mix in rum extract. This will make a lot, so pour into a sealed container and refrigerate any leftovers.
3. To serve warm: pour 2-3tbsp of the butterscotch mixture into the bottom of a saucepan. Add in 2tbsp coconut cream or milk and heat until coconut cream has melted. Pour into the bottom of a cup and add in some cream soda and mix well. Top up with more cream soda. Enjoy!