More oatmeal, I know! I’ve been on an oatmeal kick lately. This oatmeal is gluten-free, vegan and packed of flavor and nutrients. The oatmeal itself is made from quinoa and hemp seeds. Both, have protein which is something I’m always trying to integrate into every meal. Many people have this vision that vegans don’t eat enough protein. As if! There are so many foods that don’t come from animals that are packed with protein. How do animals get their protein, hmm? Plants.
Did you know that hemp seeds alone contain many other amazing benefits?!
- Excellent 3:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which promote cardiovascular health.
- High in gamma linolenic acid (GLA), an essential omega-6 fatty acid found in borage oil and egg yolks that has been proven to naturally balance hormones.
- “Perfect protein” not only containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the 9 essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce.
- Rich in soluble and un-soluble fiber which naturally cleanses the colon and reduces sugar cravings
Take that, meat-eaters! Look at all of those nutrients that yes are found in meats, but guess what? Is also found in a seed! Amazing how beneficial plants are, huh?
Okay, enough lecturing. I’m sure you want to read the recipe and print it right away. I don’t blame you, this oatmeal is delicious! Perfect for a chilly winter morning.
Cinnamon Banana Quinoa- Hemp Oatmeal
Plant-based breakfast, everyone can enjoy!
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ¾ cups vanilla almond or soy milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons organic almond butter
- 1 bananas
- In a small saucepan, bring quinoa, hemp seeds, almond milk, agave, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg to a boil.
- Once it’s boiling, reduce it to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it simmer for another 15 minutes. When the quinoa appears to have absorbed all of the milk, fluff it lightly with a fork.
- Put it in a bowl and top with bananas, peanut butter. Feel free to add some tasty extras like almonds or a little extra cinnamon if you’re feeling crazy. If you want, you can put a little more almond milk on.