Last night for dinner, I wanted to make some pasta and “meat”balls. Obviously I don’t eat meat, so I needed to come up with something that could be a great substitute. I always wanted this ball to be something my meat eating husband could enjoy. He’s really great about trying things I make, so I wanted to include flavors and foods he enjoyed. That’s when I stumbled across this recipe for vegetarian balls made with mushrooms and black beans. My husband loves mushrooms, and I know they’re a great meat substitute!
The recipe I found was from Fit Foodie Mama, and was vegetarian. Since I’m vegan, I knew I had to make some changes and make it my own, but her basic recipe was a good place for me to start. The combination of the mushrooms and black beans are so delicious. I love the tastes of these meatless balls, and they paired great with pasta and marina sauce!
If you’re looking for a great meatless spaghetti and meatballs substitute, this is it! I think vegans and meat eaters will thoroughly enjoy this meal!
Delicious vegan meatballs anyone can enjoy!
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of gluten free Italian bread crumbs
- 1 vegan egg*
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, oregano, basil or other favorite Italian seasonings
*For a vegan egg, you can either use an egg replace like THIS (which is my personal favorite). Or, you can make a flax egg by mixing 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit .
- Place the black beans, mushrooms, bread crumbs, egg replacer, salt, pepper and your seasonings of choice into large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Grease a muffin tin with olive oil.
- Using an ice cream scoop or your hands, roll mixture into balls and place in muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes, being careful not to let them dry out.
- Remove from oven and serve along with pasta and your favorite pasta sauce!
- Makes approximately 8-12 meatballs.
One thought on “Mushroom + Black-bean Vegan “Meat”balls”
Oooohhhh great idea adding some black beans!! I make a “meatless” mushroom meatball too but I’ll have to try adding in the black beans next time. Sounds super yummy!!